Distributed.net OGR is back up

Ben Webb brwebb at transmuto.com
Thu Jul 27 21:25:27 CDT 2000

>Sure there's a prize, just not a big one.  I also think that there's less
CPU time involved than the other one so your chances of participating while
the optimal ruler is found is probably better than the estimated 5-8 year
timespan of the RC5-64 project.  So far the prize is about $150.

-Caveat: I haven't done distributed.net for a while, so this may be old info.

Not sure about the CPU time, but the prize for the rc5 project actually comes from RSA.  They
sponser encryption breaking contests rather often, and the Distributed.net is just one entry
(that's one entry for the whole of distributed.net, not each team/user).  I don't know about the
rc5-64 contest, but in the DES contestes it used to boil down to distributed.net vs EFF's Deep
Crack.  In any case, the prize is (or was) 10,000.  It used to work that distributed.net got a big
chunk (I think $7500) the team got $1500 and the individual got $1000.

mike neuliep wrote:

> Yes but the rc5-64 contest pays out cashola if you're the lucky winner!
> The ogr-24 one doesn't pay out.  OGR does sound like an interesting project
> though...

"They that can give up liberty in order to obtain a little
                  -Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin R. Webb