Linuxfest

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at askpioneer.com
Thu Jul 13 21:55:51 CDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael J. Denton [mailto:mike at geeknews.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 3:34 PM
To: Brian Kelsay
Cc: 'kclug at kclug.org'
Subject: Re: Linuxfest

Brian Kelsay wrote:

> As a member of KCLUG I just wanted to say thank you.  Thank you for coming
> to the show and thank you for staying.  Most of all thanks for giving the
> show a decent review and for posting the pictures.  I must have come by
your
> booth on Thurs. while you were out since I didn't see anyone at your
booth.
> Anyway, I have started checking your site for news in addition to Slashdot
> so you were effective.

That is great to hear!  Sorry I was not at the booth when you came by.
I did my best to be there always but there were times that I ended up
getting dragged away.  I am glad to see you are joining the reader base
of Geeknews.org!

> I did want to let you and your readers know that the shortcomings of the
> show are not to be blamed on the local LUGs.  We at KCLUG spoke with the
> promoter at one of our regular meetings and were assured that everything,
> including advertising was being handled.  We were NEVER asked for help or
> advise in planning a successful show.  He just said come to the show and
> bring your friends.  The KULUA group invited him to one of their meetings
> and he never showed.  Not to disparage the promoter in any way, I did
enjoy
> the show, I think this serves as an object lesson to us all that the LUGs
> need to ensure that they are involved more in the Linux trade shows that
> take place in their cities.

I fully understand, and I feel that the only reason the show did not
totally explode was due to the efforts of the LUGS.  Your observations
of the promoter are bang-on, as an exhibitor I had the same misgivings
about him.

> I hope that the failure of this one show does not discourage future
> tech-related trade shows from occurring in the KC Metro area.  Our LUG,
> after the initial shock, is more focused and driven than before.  This
> setback for a future Linux show in KC has caused us to channel our efforts
> in growing our numbers, planning more installfests and preparing to do our
> own smaller community show next year.  We feel that if we set our goals
more
> realistically for next year and plan this ourselves, that we can expect
more
> success.

I don't think the failure of this show will discourage future tech shows
in KC since most people agree that it was not the venue, it was the show
promoters that were to blame.  I am glad to see that if anything this
show was a learning experience for a number of people (myself
included).  There is always some positive things that come out of a
negative experience it seems.

I visited the KCLUG website and I enjoyed and will be checking back
regularly to see how your LUG is doing!

> Thanks again for coming to Kansas City.

Thanks for having me!

Mike