wierd feature, any ideas?

Edgar Allen era at sky.net
Fri Jan 14 20:35:16 CST 2000

Altona Duston writes:
>stty calls to ignore case.   If you know what you
>are doing, then you can reset it back to the
>normal behaviour using the appropriate stty
>commands, don't have a man-page handy...
>Something like
>stty -iuclc -olcuc -xcase
>should restore it.

Nice explanation.  And, since I carry most of the man pages in my head,
the command you want is 'STTY -LCASE' :)

The characters you type are displayed as uppercase but are passed
to the shell as lowercase by default.  If you do 'LS' in a directory
with both upper and lowercase characters the *real* uppercase ones
will display with a BACKSLASH '' in front of them.

You can even enter R to pass an uppercase r to the shell.

I seem to recall ^ being used for pipe, '|', because TeleTypes
did not have that character either.

END OF DUMP...