FreeVSD - Virtual Server Daemon

Pat Padgett pat.padgett at cephas.com
Fri Jan 14 16:12:59 CST 2000

At 09:56 AM 1/14/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Brian writes:
>
> > Here's an interesting program for those wanting to host multiple web
> > domains on a single server.   My question though, is it possible to do this
> > without extra software or has this been done before?   Those of you that
> > have worked at ISPs would know.
> >
> >  http://www.freevsd.org/index_org.html
>
>I haven't checked out the above site, but making a linux box respond to
>multiple IP addresses, and making apache pull HTML from a different
>directory based on those different IP addresses, is very simple (and
>free).
>
>And, unlike Windows NT, linux does not require a reboot when you add new
>IP addresses.  :-)

Let me expand on what this actually is.  Don't confuse this with a web
server.  It's a virtual server by true definition meaning that each user
has an account on their own "virtual machine" and can have root privileges
on this virtual server.

<cut n paste from freevsd.org>

FreeVSD facilitates true Linux Virtual Servers within a 'chroot'
environment, allowing web servers and other applications to be deployed and
administered discretely, without compromise to security. FreeVSD enables
many 'Linux platforms' on a single physical server, each identical to the
main Linux directory structure; each Virtual Server has its own IP address
and view of the process table.

FreeVSD expands the Linux system by creating a pseudo 'super user'
('admin') for each Virtual Server. The 'admin' user has the ability to
create extra POP3/FTP and Telnet users and also administrate vital services
such as the webserver, previously only controllable by the main 'root' user
of the server.

The FreeVSD 'skeleton' structure means that engineers can easily upgrade or
modify Virtual Servers globally across a host server or entire server farm:
it is as simple as modifying the 'skeleton' image at the root of each host
server. This procedure can easily be centralised in order maintain a
homogenous server farm.

</cut n paste from freevsd.org>

|   -o)    Pat Padgett    System Administrator           |
|   /\    Cephas Inc     http://www.cephas.com/         |
|  __V    913-438-5900   mailto:pat.padgett at cephas.com  |