Corel Linux

randy at pilgrimpage.com randy at pilgrimpage.com
Mon Jan 10 04:36:43 CST 2000

Subject: kclug - Corel Linux
From: Chris Midkiff <cmidkiff at kc.rr.com>
To: kclug at kclug.org

I just got this as a new message but the header says Tuesday
Anyone else notice this or is it my mail program?

Chris Mudkiff wrote...

> I bit of information about my recent experience with Corel linux.  I
> deceded to download and install Corel Linux on my test box last friday.

*snip*

> --
> Chris Midkiff
> <insert silly little sig>
> cmidkiff at kc.rr.com

I was lucky enough to get the demo when it was first released from thier
ftp site and installed it as well. It has been replaced.
Corel is marketing this OS version not to Linux users but to people who
don't know what a partition is or even root for that matter. Thas is why
they have hidden stuff and tried to make the most simplistic install
possible. I was at the demo release at the KC Itec and even the people
showing the demo didn't quite know what I was talking about when I asked
about basic Linux stuff like XFree86 and modprobe and such. It is
basically a workstation. You can even install it under Windows and have
a Corel Linux icon on the desktop that boots to Corel with a dbl-click.
I too was a little disapointed with the distro. When some of the bugs
are worked out is suppose it could become popular with the general
public. It was the most downloaded file ever from Cnet. The company I
work for has used Corel Products for 9 years. I am looking forward to
their release of Corel Draw and Paint for Linux though.

Randy
--

 -o)  Randy Reames   Web Developer/System Administrator
 /\  PilgrimPage    http://www.pilgrimpage.com
__V  785-841-1221   mailto:randy at pilgrimpage.com