ADSL (fwd)

Edgar Allen era at sky.net
Thu Sep 23 21:11:28 CDT 1999

Ripcrd6 writes:

>I just read the article at Salon linked from /. and it is very informative.
>The writer is testing the services in Boston area though and your KC
>mileage may vary.   I met a guy that is a cable installer for Jones
>Intercable (just bought by Time Warner) and he said cable modems will be
>rolled out in the next month or so.   Should be $23 /month.   $20 for the
>service and $3 for the modem rental.   He says the cable modems are pretty
>expensive, so most people won't just go buy one.   My ethernet cards are
>already in baby.
>Brian

    Are these the same people ?  If so looks pretty good for you.

    My experience with my cable modem install and what I have read
    about other cities indicates that they expect a Win95-98 box.
    Some installers are secure enough to let you assist setting up
    a Linux box, others freak and refuse to connect anything.

    They will provide an ethernet card if you want but their price
    was too steep for me so I installed one of my own and the drivers.

    Ethernet cards have a MAC address installed at the factory so if you
    want to run Linux masquerading on a different box plan to move
    that card to the firewall box because they encode that MAC address
    as verification that you are who you claim to be.  Any other card,
    even the same model, would have a different MAC address.  I did not
    think to ask their policy if that card needs replacing.  Write the
    MAC address down, Linux can change the address sent to the wire so
    it can pretend to be another card.

    I have the link at home for 'rrlogind' which connects to RoadRunner
    and gets your DHCP address as needed.  Will send it along later.
    See if you can get the authentication server IP address for the
    'rrlogind' config file.

    An alternative appears to be using Win98 to login and be assigned
    a DHCP address and then reboot into Linux with that ethernet card
    set to 'configure via DHCP'.  If your computer remains off for eight
    hours you must do the whole thing again.

    Your firewall should have two ethernet cards, one connected to the
    cable modem, the other to your internal hub/switch/coax.  The internal
    machines should get permanent addresses assigned like so:

			   RoadRunner
			       .
			       .
			   cable modem

			RoadRunnerDHCPaddress
			Linux firewall
			  192.168.1.1
   		    192.168.1.2      192.168.1.3

    Now 2 and 3 set 1 as their 'default gateway'.  1 adds 'ipfwadm' rules
    to start masquerading and block connections from outside to either 2
    or 3 and everything should be set.

    I think I have sample 'ipfwadm' rules at home also.