ADSL

Derek Moore derekm at madcowi.com
Thu Sep 23 16:54:41 CDT 1999

> 	Does anyone have any experience using a Linux box as an Internet
> gateway connected to an ADSL line?  Heck, does anyone have a Linux box
> connected to an ADSL line?  I just wanted to know how difficilt or
> easy that sets up

Connecting your Linux box to xDSL is a sinch... All your box needs is a
network card. xDSL works a lot like cable and ISDN... Your DSL modem is
the router that routes all your traffic and you just hook up to the DSL
modem via a 10BaseT network. So all you need is a crappy NE2000 card [or
any other Ethernet card] installed on your machine and that's about it.
You do have to setup the pump package, because you get your IP address via
DHCP on DSL and cable. Pump is just standard DHCP client for Linux,
FreeBSD and other free OSes...

Now... If you have RedHat then it's ultra easy... If during install, when
it asks you to setup your network card it'll ask you how you get your IP
address, either Static, DHCP, or BOOTP. Just choose DHCP and setup the
other aspects of your network card and that's it. If after install, use
netcfg and setup an eth0 device that uses the protocol DHCP.

I don't have experience using any of the other distros, but I assume it
can't be too much more difficult. Debian prolly has a nice network
configuration utility... Most good distros do.

/*  Begin Signature File  */
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
@sig = ("Derek Paul Moore",
        "derekm at madcowi.com",
        "I don't do Microsoft.",
        "I started with nothing & I still have most of it left.");
print ("$sig[0]n$sig[1]n$sig[2]n$sig[3]n");
/*   End Signature File   */