Mouse support in Slackware 4.0

cruller cruller at unicom.net
Thu Sep 9 19:05:02 CDT 1999

I sent the message below this morning but it never reached the list so
apologies if it shows up as a dupe.

--------------------------

LUGgers

    I've installed slackware 4.0 on my box and am bumping my head on the

mouse serial port in X.  'dmesg' states there is a PS/2 mouse.  and that

there are serial ports ttyS00 on irq3 and ttyS01 on irq4. I should be
able to simply link /dev/mouse to ttyS00 or ttyS01 and under xf86config
config the mouse as a PS/2 on /ttyS0[1,2].  however /dev/ttyS0[0,1]
doesn't exist.  so I try  #sh MAKEDEV ttyS00 and I get back "Sorry I
don't know how to build that device."

The Bios setup says the mouse/keyboard is on irq3/4.

I've also vi-ed around in /etc/XF86Config and tried the following
settings:

Microsoft         ##Microsoft Compatible Mouse two button

at the following devs in succesion

/dev/mouse      ##default link to /dev/tty00
/dev/tty01
/dev/tty02
/dev/tty03
/dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS2
/dev/ttyS3

Did I mention this was a Logitech 2 button mouse? So I tried these:

Logitech         ##Old Logitech NON-Microsoft Compatible Mouse

at the following devs in succesion

/dev/mouse      ##default link to /dev/tty00
/dev/tty01
/dev/tty02
/dev/tty03
/dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS2
/dev/ttyS3

Then I tried these:

Logitech        ##Microsoft Compatible Mouse

at the following devs in succesion

/dev/mouse      ##default link to /dev/tty00
/dev/tty01
/dev/tty02
/dev/tty03
/dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS2
/dev/ttyS3

I think I've gone about this as methodically as possible.  Baring any
clues here I think a trip to Compusa for a new mouse might be the last
resort.  Although I hate it when the machine wins!

TIA,

Gerald