staroffice

mlee at microlink.net mlee at microlink.net
Wed Sep 8 01:31:53 CDT 1999

well, after about 5 attempts, and finally a 5-hour download,
i was able to install and try staroffice.  at 120 MB plus 3
MB in my home directory, it's almost too big.  with the
spreadsheet module loaded, it's using about 20 MB of memory
(almost as much as X).  it did successfully open up a few
of my excel spreadsheets, however, so i believe i'll stick
with it until i find something smaller.  if you're
interested, you can view a snapshot of my screen at:
	http://www.microlink.net/~mlee/screen.jpg
the spreadsheet shown is one of the examples provided with
excel.  if you have excel, you might find it at Office 97/
Office/Examples/Solver/solvsamp.xls.  as you can see the
formatting is right-on.
i'm have no idea why they designed staroffice with it's own
start button and taskbar...

matt