another introduction...

tommie giles giles01 at primary.net
Sat Nov 20 14:05:45 CST 1999

Hello, I have been lurking this mailing list for the past few months and
believe it's time to introduce myself to the crowd.
My name is Tommie Giles and I work as a support advisor for a major Kansas City
computer company and have been active in Linux and active in Open Source for
the past 2 years. I'm currently running Slackware at home and my company is
currently working with RedHat to offer Linux in our servers and other
higher-end workstations.
being terrible at intros, here goes an interesting code snippet I found you
might be amused with:
--snip--
# ~/bin/chgback
#!/bin/sh
# Get a directory listing of specific jpg files and change the root desktop
# Every "sleep" times.
# Change the next line to the directory you want chgback to search for the files
for i in `ls -1 /root/jpg/`
do
# Change this line to the same line as the previous directory listing
xv -root -quit /root/jpg/$i ;
sleep 600
done
# end chgback
--snip--
this just requires xv to run and it changes your desktop background every
sleep -n (you can set the time to better suit your taste) Just insert into a
blank file, safe it and chmod to an executable and run it from the command
prompt. You can also have it run at X startup, if you wish. Works nice, but
dosen't loop. Will look into making it do just that in the future.

Nice to meet you all, hope to be present at the next meeting!

Tommie