One more X question

Ray Schwamberger ironclaw69 at altavista.com
Fri Dec 31 19:11:42 CST 1999

The easiest way I've found to do this (on a per-user basis) is to make a file in your home
directory called .xserverrc and add the following line verbatim...

exec X -bpp 16

The alternative would to be to use whichever X configuration utility your distribution comes with
(Xconfigurator for RedHat, SaX for SuSE, or XF86Setup for some others) which will edit the
XF86Config file for your.

Or you could edit /etc/XF86Config manually and change the line that looks like this (
DefaultColorDepth 8) although you'd have to adjust the bit value (8) to whichever your current
configuration defaults to.

Ray Schwamberger