installing X

Gene E. Dascher gedascher at multiservice.com
Thu Dec 30 22:04:43 CST 1999

	As a relative newcomer to Linux, I am learning as much as I can about the
OS as I go along.  I have a PII-350, 128MB Ram, ASUS AGP-V3400TNT 16MB Video
card and am running RedHat 6.1.  The latest snapshot of XFree86 has nVidia
drivers, so I wanted to download and install it.  I have already downloaded
and un-tarred the files.  I was wondering if anyone out there can give me a
bit of help as what to do next.  I have looked in some of the documentation,
but didn't get much help as far as how to compile & install the drivers,
etc.

	Another problem that I am having with the current XFree86 (whatever version
came with the distribution) is that I apparently have a HUGE virtual desktop
set up even though I got rid of the virtual settings in the XF86Config file.
If you need any more hardware info or setting onfo, let me know.

	finally, I am looking forward to the LinuxFest that is coming in June.
Should be a REAL blast.

Thanks a lot,

Gene Dascher

BTW, I got my modem working the other day.  There was an IRQ problem.  Linux
saw the modem as having IRQ 4, but I had it set up on the card as IRQ 5, so
I used setserial to change the IRQ, and it worked beautifully.