New adventures in printing

Sam Clippinger samc at silence.org
Thu Dec 16 01:58:08 CST 1999

When last we left our heroes, Lowell Premer had just said:
> Try sending it a file and lpq gives "vik2.ne:waiting for queue
> to be enabled on vik1.ne" then it lists the waiting jobs and at
> the end of the report says "vik1.ne:lpd:lp Your host does not
> have line printer access."

This very thing tripped me up for several weeks at home also.  In
my case, the solution was to modify a file on the print server (the
machine that is physically connected to the printer):
        /etc/hosts.equiv

Every host that will be printing to the shared printer must have an
entry in that file.  One entry per line, each entry is just the
FQDN of the host that is allowed to print.  So my /etc/hosts.equiv
file contains the following:
        meneleus.silence.org
        praxis.silence.org
        ancillae.silence.org
        thrall.silence.org

I hope this helps!

                                -sam

 Sam Clippinger               For PGP public key (KEY ID: 431C5529), see
samc at silence.org          http://www.micro.com/~samc or http://pgp.ai.mit.edu