New adventures in printing

Lowell Premer Lowell at kc.rr.com
Wed Dec 15 22:11:07 CST 1999

Folks,
    Got one i486/RH5.2 to print to a Canon bjc1000, with some
help from Daniel Ramsbrock ( http://www.pinn.net/+AH4-spikes51/ ).
    Never one to let well enough alone, now I'm trying to get
the other identical box to print to bjc1000 as a remote printer.
Try sending it a file and lpq gives "vik2.ne:waiting for queue
to be enabled on vik1.ne" then it lists the waiting jobs and at
the end of the report says "vik1.ne:lpd:lp Your host does not
have line printer access."
    Which host, 1 or 2? 1, I assume,but if so, how can it print
its own jobs? I set up my little network here at the house to
print to one box's printer, and the machines that had RH6.1 went
right to town, but the one that still had 5.2 never did let me
get anywhere. Is there something in particular that changed in
the new release tha would've caused such a thing? Could that
same thing be giving me my current problem?
    Alas, as usual, I'm mailing from home and the machines are
at school, and I forgot to bring /etc/printcap et.al. with me,
but they were pretty much what printtool made, and so looked
fairly normal, whatever that means.
    So whadaya think? Any hope?

TIA

Lowell