GTE and a potential fix

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 16:39:39 CDT 2005

I got SBC Yahoo! DSL about a month or so ago.  I just used my iMac
(slotloader G3) running X.2.8 to do the setup.  It went well, and I
never had to call into to a tech center.  Once the modem was verified
I just unplugged the network from the iMac and into the uplink port of
my Netgear router/WiFi AP.  Reset both and got a good network
connection.  I only had to change the default LAN IP of the Netgear
router as it conflicted w/ the default IP of the modem.  I installed
Ubuntu (delivered a week later) on my Dell GX1 and it went flawlessly
onto the network.

The modem says to leave it connected and powered on for at least 10
days to "tune" the connection.  It might do that, but I'm betting they
won't let it go over 384Kbps until they get myh first payment...  My
upstream is at 384 too, so I've got SDSL (kinda) for just $14.95. :)

Jon.