MoveOn's "Geek Organizer" Online Job Fair

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sat Feb 28 18:29:46 CST 2004

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:37:56 -0600 Brian Kelsay <bkelsay at comcast.net>
writes:
> And I only got one flame about the Penguin Joke.
> Now I'm sad.
>
> I thought that Jim had a valid posting.  While it was
> not for a specific job and I don't agree w/ moveon's
> message or the way they present it, it appears they
> are making an  honest attempt to match some people
> up with jobs.

I found a previous writer's message somewhat dichotomous: Linux is
apolitical, but don't post MoveOn.org's message about trying to link
geeks with jobs here as they are political.  (?)

If Linux is apolitical, then the politics of your employer is a bit
irrelevant, right?  If you get a Linux job through MoveOn.org, you've
just got one of those apolitical jobs, right?

Everyone works for an employer with radically different politics at some
point in their lives (liberals more than most, of course).  If you happen
to have worked for MoveOn.org or an affiliate, you can still leverage
that job into another job working for some other employer with similar
political goals to yours.

And I didn't see the politics of the original message.  I know what
MoveOn.org does, but I wouldn't have learned what they do from the
original message.  Folks who thought it was political were people who
already knew what MoveOn.org was.