Knoppix kernel question

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sat Feb 28 11:41:19 CST 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:41:34 -0600 "Brian Kelsay" <BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov>
writes:
> I actually have some drives that won't boot to CDR or CDRW!!  Certain
> Mitsumi drives (24x and 32X) are just real finicky.  I try to pull
> them out of my PCs and save for donations.  It might help if I
> burned CDR at a slower rate, but I can't verify that.

I have a 32X drive which came as part of a CreativeLabs SoundBlaster
upgrade kit.  I forget who made it, but it wouldn't read some CD-Rs
either.  I had a bunch from a friend of mine who bought a 2X burner when
they got down below $150, and they all worked great on the 32X.  My old
8X made CD-Rs which would read in the 32X.  When I upgraded from an 8X
burner to a 48X burner, the CD-Rs stopped reading on the 32X.

Burning at 4X made a CD-R which would read in that 32X CDROM drive.  If
memory serves I tended to burn at 4X anyway on the 8X burner.