[OT] Interesting almost-free ISP: Access-4-Free.com

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri Feb 27 00:09:01 CST 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:33:22 -0600 "Brian Kelsay" <BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov>
writes:
> Sorry about top-posting, I hate doing it, but as I've noted before,
> GroupWise leaves something to be desired.  Missing is an option to
> indent and use ">" on content one replies to and the option to wrap
> text at x number of characters (e.g. 72 as is the standard).  So
> nearly all my posts come out looking funky no matter what I do.  I
> do however want to post from work, but for now it will be top
> posting unless I find some hidden option to do proper
> indention/notation.  It is the only way to be clear that certain
> comments are my own.  If the post is short I manually add the ">".

I grew up with the late 80s BBSes.  There were terminal programs which
could do the ">" quoting, but I found a terminal modem suite which
included not only a terminal window, but also a text editor, background
file transfer window, and calculator (and unlike many other terminal
programs of the time, it came with built-in ZModem!  Oooo!).  It did not
do quoting, so I kinda have it hardwired into my brain how to move my
hands very quickly to add ">" marks in whatever number and placement
necessary for proper attribution.

That plus a guy who was a sysop of one of the BBSes and liked to chat
with whomever happened to be logged in at the moment.  He had a typing
speed which was impossibly fast.  With most people he'd type a response
and then leave the room for a soda while the other person typed a much
slower chat sentence.  For me it became a Challenge!  I was determined to
type as fast as he did.  Soon he was unable to leave the room for a soda
when we chatted.

The really funny thing is that I type really fast using a method which
has been described as "really fast hunt-and-peck", which makes switching
to a non-Qwerty keyboard almost impossible for me.  The interesting part
about it, though, is that while I type in a fashion which would make a
typing teacher tear his or her hair out in frustration, the fact that my
hands wander freely over the keyboard without regard for "left hand
always presses ASDF, right hand always presses HJKL" means that I type
One-Handed almost as fast as most people type with Two Hands.  This came
in handy at work when I injured my right hand back in 2002.  I could
still return to work and get some work done during the day, because I
could type with one hand fairly quickly.