[OT] Interesting almost-free ISP: Access-4-Free.com

DCT Jared jsmith at datacaptech.com
Wed Feb 25 18:34:29 CST 2004

<note: top-post comment moved to bottom-post order>

>>> Actually, since that is the whole point of putting something
>>> in a contract, it does. IANAL, but I do know that one.
>>>
>>> Contracts are bizarre; once you sign it, of your own free will,
>>> you are bound to its terms, no matter WHAT it says. That's
>>> why you read the fine print, and do not sign until the contract
>>> is written according to _your_ understanding of the agreement.
>>
>>IANAL either, but I have a good friend who is and I have heard him talk about
>>contracts with people several times and I have frequently heard him say, "You
>>can't sign away your rights, that contract is illegal," referring to some
>>contract or another that some person has signed and later realized it was a
>>mistake.
>>
>>So apparently, just because one signs a contract, doesn't make it legally
>>binding, necessarily. Then again, IANAL.
>
>Exactly, well said.  Example: I cannot sign a contract to sell my kidney and
>have it removed.  It is illegal in the US to sell human organs.

Yes, you _can_ sign such a contract, and you _can_ attempt to abide by it,
and the other guy who signed it _can_ try to enforce it. The point I was
making is that it is your responsibility to keep all such illegal clauses out
of the contract, and this is what I meant by "no matter WHAT it says."

I meant "no matter WHAT it says which is legal," but, not being a lawyer,
was not precise enough in my language.

For example, you could sign a contract saying you MUST stand on a
sidewalk in Westport with a purple dinosaur suit, and then you'd have
to do so, if the contract ever got to court.

When I am a lawyer someday, I will speak more precisely.

-Jared