Interesting almost-free ISP: Access-4-Free.com

Jon k_m34 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 15:54:14 CST 2004

My Comcast contract/TOS clearly stated that we are not allowed to hook
more than one computer to the cable without paying for an extra IP for
each machine.  The loophole here is that they say nothing about hooking
a computer up to that first one and routing access.  They'd be hard
pressed to try something like that, 'cause that in effect would
prohibit someone from hooking up their Palm or PPC to their computer
under an all encompassing only one computer at all hooked up clause.  I
have heard of people b eing told by support techs that the bandwidth is
theirs to use once it hits their home network, but I think that is just
a tech being a decent human.

A stream of bits on the network once looked like:
> This has got to be illegal on the part of
> TWC. If I have a local LAN in my home and I want
> to share my LAN with other people TWC has no rights
> to equipment I own. I rent a certain bandwidth from
> the cable company and as long as I don't go over that usage
> they have no legal leg to stand on. Of course I don't
> have TWC and don't know what is in the contract, but
> putting something in a contract doesn't make it enforcable.

=====
-

Jon.