OT (sort-of): Linux used to virus-check Windoze computers? (was Re: LiveCD list)

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Tue Feb 24 04:13:32 CST 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:49:05 -0600 <kurt at verruckt.org> writes:
> Just so everyone stays in check... Its not exclusive to TW.
> I also had this problem with Comcast. Tech Support is
> worthless. I would have spent the rest of my life unplugging
> my lan, and rebooting my pc. Luckily I have a friend who
> works for Comcast, and told me what to ask for. After
> three phone calls to tech support, he told me to ask for a
> "line check" (or something like that, its been a while, sorry).
> The next time we had this problem, the lineman on call,
> came out and hooked up some sort of electronic gizmo to
> our box outside the house (i was not home, so this is my
> wifes literal translation). It was some equipment in our
> neighborhood that split the lines out to all the houses that
> was failing. Was told later that it was quite old. It was
> replaced the next day and have had no problems since.
> If  you are in an older neighborhood, it might be worth
> looking into. Just a thought.

Their neighborhood, while an apartment complex, is not only OLD, it looks
like it was put together by people who didn't care much about the quality
of their work (let alone building codes).

This is an excellent theory for his neighborhood, and will be implemented
once my friend catches up on his cable bill enough to feel like TWC is
obligated to him, rather than the other way around.  :)