simple NN in Perl (was RE: LISP program)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Feb 23 18:14:40 CST 2004

Well ,I don't know perl, but let me give a stab at my
analysis of your neural net. It looks like you have
built a single layer neural network. These aren't
terribly useful. A three layer neural net would be
a minimum for really useful and interesting things
(although there are certain uses for two layer ones).
Three layers seem to be a bare minimum for decent
learning. Secondly you didn't include any weighting
to individual nodes nor any way to alter the weighting
on a per node basis. Nor is there any way for your neural net
to learn. But it is a basic shell you've built
that could be expanded on and if it were an object could
be a base to build multiple layers on. Also you've only
built two state nodes. You could add a fuzzy aspect to
it to make a node partially on. Or you could add a
disease to the nodes to make some neurons die/behave abnormally.
But I digress, yes, you've got the beginnings of a neural net,
since all they are all matrices of numbers in the end. But it
is lacking in a great many respects. Yes any paradigm can be done in
any language, some are better suited than others, but I still
stick to my statement that hardware neurons are better. Wonder if
you can still buy them?