ot smd soldering

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Feb 19 15:01:53 CST 2004

I agree, it is hard to know what he is trying to do w/ out seeing it.  But, if you are talking
about a cable w/ 5 wires inside, you can give yourself a couple of extra millimeters of slack so
that you don't pull one wire off the pad when you solder the second or third.   If the pads are
close together you will need an iron with a real small tip meant for this kind of work and the
appropriate solder (more silver, probably 40+%, also small diameter).

I did some work for kepht and learned everything from him.  Maybe if you talked real nice to him in
IRC he would show you how to fix it.  If you have the appropriate iron and such I'll do it.  All
the equip I used was kepht's at his place.  It's not easy and requires a steady hand.  I had to
remove and add surface mount resistors and other components.  Did a lot of work w/ tweezers and a
pen sized iron.   The third hand also helps.

Brian Kelsay

>>> "Brian Densmore" <> 02/19/04 08:18AM >>>

Your best bet is to use a soldering iron with an appropriate smd tip.
I'd have to see graphically what you are talking about center. Generally
with smd devices if you try to solder one point of the device it will
"stand" up off the board. So for doing say a resistor you need a tip that
can solder on both ends simultaneously to prevent "standing". Tacking the
device down with glue may help, or using a third hand to apply
pressure to keep it down would also work.