nautilus

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Feb 18 17:12:45 CST 2004

Can you make all those changes in Suse or KDE's control panels or did you guys dig into the X
configs.   I should have been hanging with you guys more last night as I might have learned
something.

Brian Kelsay

Brian Kelsay wrote:

| That is why I refuse to use Gnome.  I don't mind having the GTK
| libraries and using GTK based apps in XFCE, but Gnome is Gnowhere
| near ready for me. The old arguments against KDE are Gno more and I
| have always liked KDE.  Has anyone used current KDE on a low-end PC
| (233)?  Maybe it would be useable if you could turn down the GUIness.
| Jason, what were some of the items you switched on/off on Jim's
| Compaq last night?

The cirrus logic video driver has problems so we couldn't use
accelerated mode. So, we fell back to framebuffer fill mode but I turned
on MMIO, ShadowFB, and HWCursor in the driver options and that helped a
ton. Also, in KDE we turned off launch feedback, switched to a theme
that has no bitmaps in it (like Platinum), disabled the sound server
daemon, disabled the panel background, changed the window border theme
to something without bitmaps, and disabled all of the QT menu and button
animations. One could also tell Knoqueror to not load at start up.