c# or PHP?

Bryan Richard bryan at booknerd.net
Tue Feb 17 18:06:12 CST 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:18:01AM -0600, DCT Jared wrote:
> 1. C# will not make php obsolete any time in the next
> decade. C# and php cover different domains, and php's
> popularity is because it handles its niche extremely well.
> ASP is in the same niche as PHP, and although ASP is
> a solid language, [...]

Wait a sec, _the_ ASP? The language so bad Visual Basic makes fun of it?
The ASP of the single-threaded session variable? The ASP with the
dictionaries in that sluggish "scripting" object? The ASP with no
debugging, no templating, and no asynchronous capabilities whatsoever?

Things may have changed, but the ASP I knew was a miserable piece of
garbage.[1]

[1] Former waaaaaay overpaid ASP developer.

> 4. PHP5 is a great leap forward for PHP, giving it much-
> needed object-oriented credibility.

Well, OOP is what it is. I think they went a bit overboard with the OOP
in PHP5 and I think that it's Java's market share that influences the
opinion that everything needs to be object oriented. OOP is fine for
some things but I think it was a bit forced on the PHP community with
v5.

> Its incorporation of TinySQL
> is proof that PHP is still targeting very speedy delivery of
> web pages. The php Smarty Templates are very powerful,
> and there are at least a dozen very solid application
> frameworks built for PHP.

[...]

I have to second that. I don't know what pure C# has in the way of
templating but the combination of PHP + Smarty is sublime for seperating
your business layer from your display. "Be smart, use Smarty," as they
say.

- Bryan