c# or PHP?

Bryan Richard bryan at booknerd.net
Tue Feb 17 17:16:32 CST 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:26:07AM -0600, Charles, Joshua Micah (UMKC-Student) wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I'm faced with a conundrum here.  My job is requiring me to learn some
> sort of server side scripting language for web development.  We're
> flexible on what platform will be used, to a point.  I'm planning on
> learning both eventually, but that's a ways in the distance.  My
> question is, which would be better to learn first, c#, or PHP?  Is there
> any chance that in the future c# will make PHP obsolete, especially with
> Mono progressing so well?

IMO, probably not.
http://www.php.net/usage.php
http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200401/apachemods.html

PHP can be a mess to program it but its low barrier to entry keeps it
pretty popular.

I've received a bit of flak from people like Sterling Hughes b/c I don't
really think that Mono is going to go anywhere. It's an interesting
project and it's certainly quite a bit larger in scope and team than it
was at this time last year but I honestly believe that MS could/can
crush/outpace it. Now that Novell seems to be involved
(http://www.go-mono.com/faq.html#novell) MS might be more inclined to
treat it as a hostile project.

C# is, however, a pretty cool language and if you know Java it's pretty
easy to build on that knowledge. But if I wanted to do something today
and never have to worry that one day I've have to buy an VS.NET license,
I'd pick up PHP.

- Bryan