Slackware install question

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Feb 13 13:54:47 CST 2004

I have had trouble with Mitsumi 24x and 32x drives and bootable Linux CDS.  The LiveCDs and distros
like RH, Mandrake, Debian, etc.  I kept thinking I had a bad CD or something, but  its just the
drive.  I would have to swap the drive and put it back after install.  The CD Drive could actually
read the disk, but not the boot code.  Same drives have some problems w/ CDRW disks.

Brian Kelsay

>>> Leo J Mauler <> 02/12/04 03:16PM >>>

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:46:41 -0600 "Steve King" <>
writes:
> Trying to install Slackware to a laptop with an
> external CD-Rom Drive.  Cd boots, and basic
> configuration goes fine. When I get to the part
> that asks about the source, it will not detect the
> cd / cd drive it just booted from, and will not
> continue the install. Any ideas.

I got this error when installing Slackware (and other distros, come to
think of it) on systems with *internal* CDROM drives (older models, 4X
and lower, though I did get it once with a 32X).  If I remember the
answer I got on comp.os.linux.setup correctly, the BIOS might allow
booting on a CDROM drive which, for various reasons (too generic and/or
too proprietary), Linux will not recognize when it comes time to install.
 This is a very strange thing for Linux users, who are used to a feature
which Windoze users never experience: all the drivers preloaded and no
extra CDS or floppies to find.