Question on at and atq commands

John Geiger John.Geiger at FossTraining.com
Thu Feb 12 17:08:30 CST 2004

Hi Brian

cron and at were both installed with RH9 server which we use here for training purposes. Both have
been around for a long, long time.

As for the differences, cron is for repetitive scheduling while at is for one 'one time' execution.
In other words, if you want something to run more than once, use cron. I would agree that at is
rarely used but it is part of Unix and Linux distros.

Hope this helps.

John Geiger

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Brian Kelsay [mailto:BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov]
	Sent: Thu 2/12/2004 10:48 AM
	To: kclug at kclug.org
	Subject: Re: Question on at and atq commands

	This will probably sound stupid, but I thought that at was only used on floppy linuxes
because it is small.  I've only really set up scheduled jobs w/ cron.  Are at AND cron normally
installed on desktop and server default distro installs?  If they are both there, then I haven't
been paying attention.  What is the difference between the two, as far as functionality?

	Brian Kelsay

	>>> Jason Clinton <> 02/12/04 09:57AM >>>
	cat /var/spool/at/atspool

	atd seems like a really inadequate piece of software, though. I wish
	there were a version of cron that did it all.