School using Linux

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Wed Feb 11 22:33:09 CST 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:32:49 -0500 Bryan Richard <bryan at booknerd.net>
writes:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 04:20:10AM -0600, Leo J Mauler wrote:
> > I wish I could walk into some local K-12
> > classroom using Linux and observe what
> > they are doing with Linux in the classroom.
> > I'd like to get into this area of Linux
> > administration.
> >
> > I might even drive as far as St. Louis to see
> > such a classroom, or Wichita, KS in the
> > other direction, or even the same distance
> > south (even as far as Tulsa, OK).
>
> I can tell you what the kids do with it. My son
> went to a rather progressive private school last
> year and several of us dads were geeks (one
> was the co-author of the early O'Reilly
> "Annoyances" books) and we tossed a couple
> of Linux machines in with the Macs and
> Windows boxen.
>
> They quickly found the games and played
> FreeCiv. ;-)

Well, yes, we know what kids do with Linux boxes on their own.  :)  My
nephew found "TuxRacer" pretty darn quickly.

I'd like to see a classroom situation, though, where some teacher was
teaching the class and the students were following along or working on
essays and suchlike using their Linux-powered computers.

After all, in my entire K-12 period, most of it was dominated by Apple ][
(thats II for younger people) computers, with a brand new IBM PC in high
school (2400baud modem! we too used it to go online and play "Tradewars")
and a computer lab housing eight beige box Macintoshes (Go MacPascal!).
I've never been in a K-12 classroom where there was a computer on every
desk.