Attention Gerald Combs and other project developers

Shayne Patton linuxh3d at comcast.net
Wed Feb 11 22:17:34 CST 2004

david wrote:

> Well in that case, would you consider opening your RT instance
> to external usage?  Although that might cause some confusion in
> the minds of Lusers, who might expect that Ethereal had more to
> do with a project that was borrowing your RT than simply borriwing
> the RT.
>
> For sharing web-based single sign on across multiple servers,
> please feel free to use the kerberos-like AIS infrastructure I
> set up -- the AIS::Client module now on CPAN is working for
> several authenticated projects I have written to demonstrate it,
> including ones that send e-mail and an access control list.
>
> Writing python and PHP clients for it remain open tasks.  And more
> servers, and more documentation, and more promotion.
>
> If only one could stop time ...
>
>> I'm not sure I'd use a request tracker hosted elsewhere for the
>> following reasons:
>>
>>   - IAACF (I Am A Control Freak), and therefore like to keep as much
>>     stuff as I can on the Ethereal server itself.
>>
>>   - I'd like to provide a single sign-on for any web-based apps
>>     requiring authentication.
>>
>> However, an "open" RT server would be very useful to the community at
>> large.  For some reason I don't find SourceForge's tracker interface
>> very useful.

Gerald,

When you say "open" RT server, do you mean basically open to any
projects that may want to use it?  (ie have several different projects
all isolated from one another w/in the RT server, separate logins /
project etc)  Or would it be something more like anyone who wanted to
sign up for the RT (main) list could submit bugs on whatever (OSS)
subject they were having trouble with?

Thanks for the feedback.

Universally,
Shayne