School using Linux

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Wed Feb 11 10:55:21 CST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:47:53 -0600 Karl Schmidt <karl at xtronics.com>
writes:
> One of my customers was asking about burning an
> eprom for a net card - I asked him what he was up
> to and it turns out he is setting computers up
> to boot off the net for an Oregon school system.
>
> Just to get current with M$ for the current year was
> going to cost over $20,000 so he is setting up a
> bunch of thin clients using this:
>
> http://k12ltsp.org/

I can't find the answer to this question on the k12ltsp website, so I
thought I'd ask it here.

What is the minimum spec PC to run an older PC as a thin client on such a
network?  Minimum RAM and processor speed is what I'm thinking of here.

The K12LTSP website goes into specific detail when it comes to the
_application server_, but not to the specs of the _thin client_ if you
are using older PCs.  It does seem to want to *sell* you a new thin
client PC through one of the vendors mentioned on the page.  How schools
already strapped for cash are going to be able to buy new thin clients at
$100 or more a pop is beyond me, given that they will probably be able to
find donated older PCs for free.  I suppose not mentioning the specs to
use older PCs is one way of trying to sell more new thin clients.