[OT] partialy I was wondering what suggestions for programing

Hal Duston hduston at speedscript.com
Tue Feb 10 17:12:47 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 08:51, Brian Kelsay wrote:
> The story about the monkeys was a joke to promote a US based consulting firm.
> You have to actually look at the website to realize how much of a joke
> it was.  They took it all the way.  Have you ever heard of a million
> monkeys with typewriters?  The idea is that if you left them alone
> with the typewriters they would eventually spit out some Shakespeare.
> Very unrealistic, but that is how the saying goes.

Yes, usenet has now proved that is not the case.

--snip--

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 10:17, Garrett Goebel wrote:
> Brian Kelsay wrote:
> > As for NAFTA, we let em do it to us.   Everyone thought the
> > labor unions were crazy.

Well, I believe "Information wants to be free", and I am fully prepared
to subscribe to that in the fullest sense.  I don't believe that
outsourcing offshoring can be prevented without a draconian regulatory
business climate.  Furthermore, just like "The network perceives
censorship as damage and routes around it", so to will the best bargain
for the money.  If it is truly cheaper and better and all those things
it will be impossible to prevent.  If it is not truly cheaper and better
and all those things, it will die a death of suffocation under it's own
weight.

> <rant>
>
> So open source code is okay, but open markets and trade are not?
>
> We can sit on our hands and blame someone else for the worlds
> problems. Or we can "service" ourselves and do something about it. In
> open source projects, talk is cheap. Show me the code. Do something.
> Don't complain from the sidelines. Beat them at their own game by
> showing them how it should be done and/or redefining the rules of the
> game. Actions speak louder than words.
>
> Visit the Small Business Admininstration website: www.sba.gov and
> SCORE www.score.org which specializes in counseling small businesses.
> Learn how to setup your own business. Setting up a sole propietorship
> isn't hard. Along they way, you'll learn a thing or two about

A comment here.  A sole proprietorship is about the worst type of
business you can set up.  There is _no_ protection from legal liability
at all.  The entire purpose of a corporation is to protect your personal
life from your business life.  A sole proprietor is personally liable
for all the actions of his business.  That means you can lose all your
individual and personal assets.  A corporation or at least a partnership
is a vastly superior way to go.  That way your home, car, and other
personal assets aren't at risk.

--
Hal Duston