dnsmasq vs. bind

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Mon Feb 9 20:23:05 CST 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> On Sunday, February 08, 2004 08:07 pm, Karl Schmidt wrote:
>

>>Bind software  is poor. Bind and DHCP are kludged together to let DDNS
>>work.
>

> Bind isn't meant to work with dynamic DHCP.  Never was.  DDNS is exactly that,
> a klludge to get it to work in a dynamic environment.  It's no fault of bind.

Well then why is it described in the man page? We agree that it is a kludge.

>>Seems that DHCP and DNS should share the same data base.
>

> That's a great idea, but that's not what bind is meant for.  It's designed for
> large networks where addresses are essentially static.  It has provisions for
> updates, but those are slow.  It's meant to be - and is - very stable.

I guess that is the problem - bind has become out of date, crufty and
kludged. I also saw some stability problems when bind 9 came out - glad
they are fixed now. My point remains that there is a need to have a
package that integrates DHCP and DNS into one database.

>>What the world needs is for someone to create a new bind package. In a
>>similar way that exim replaced sendmail.
>

> Sendmail's still the most used mail system on the internet.

Most popular is not a good reason to keep using it (if it was we would
all be using M$ windows<g>)- exim postfix qmail are all much better
choices.

>If I were to
> guess, I would say that MS Exchange is it's closest "competitor".  Exim
> doesn't even bump the scale. Postfix and qmail are popular, but mostly
> because sendmail is difficult to configure well.  People who think sendmail
> isn't good software don't know much about it.

I used sendmail - it does have support for very old standards that no
one I know uses. Other than that it has a terrible config, and
lackluster performance. The cost of configuring sendmail is too high and
it often ends up miss configured.

Also it is interesting to note that debian, redhat and a few other
distributions all use exim, postfix, or qmail instead of the old
war-horse as the default MTA. (Debian wisely defaults to exim).

Karl Schmidt EMail    Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street  Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049    FAX(785) 841-0434

If it is worth doing, it is worth doing for money.