Java and browsers

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Feb 6 22:25:17 CST 2004

On Friday, February 06, 2004 02:20 pm, Shayne Patton wrote:

> Brian Densmore wrote:
> >Why is it that konqueror let's you tell it where to find
> >java plug-ins and Mozilla is so dumbed down/locked down you can't?

> I was just wondering, do you use RH9?  Or , are you having trouble w/
> Mozilla on several distro's?

I have the same problem with SuSE 9.0.  It's clearly a problem with Mozilla
and with Mozilla's java plug-in.  For me it won't install unless I run as
root, in which case it still isn't available to the regular user, although
the error shown to a regular user does change.

I've also tried to upgrade Mozilla, only to have two seperate, conflicting
installations on my system.

Frankly, I think Mozilla sucks.  They have lousy code.  Their code has had
major flaws ever since it was released as Mosaic.  I know, because I reported
some of them to the Mosaic developers, but they were too busy craming
"features" into the code to bother fixing it.

The one good thing Microsoft has done with IE is that, after releasing a
moderately cleaned up version of the Mosaic code, they did a ground-up
rewrite and cleaned up almost all of the original bugs.