Certification and Employment

DCT Jared jsmith at datacaptech.com
Thu Feb 5 17:35:51 CST 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:01:33 -0600, Brian Densmore wrote:
>Anyway, does it matter that I can't code for ****?  How did you all get started?

No. Sorry for the 2nd reference to law, but as Abraham Lincoln
once said to someone who asked if he could tutor him in law (Lincoln was
by this time the most successful attorney in his state):

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is
more important than any other one thing."

He then declined to help the man who asked him for help, saying
that if the man had got this item straight, all he needed was books
from which to learn; and he pointed out how the books were in
all libraries, so there was really no help that he could offer.

To get started, get started. Thereafter, it's just a matter of following through.

That's how I got started (well, I did have the luxury of the VAX/VMS
mainframe at UMKC as an open playing field back in 1989, and an
immensely slacker lifestyle that allowed me to play for 18 hours
at a time, go to sleep, wake up, and do it again).

By the way, your sentence is just as effective without the epithet ****.

-Jared