OT- Re: Certification and Employment

DCT Jared jsmith at datacaptech.com
Wed Feb 4 16:17:32 CST 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:56:48 -0600, KRFinch at dstsystems.com wrote:
>For what it's worth, you can still study up and take the bar in at least
>two states.  Virginia is one of them, and I think the other is either Rhode
>Island or Connecticut.
>
>Unfortunately, Virginia's bar exam is one of the hardest ones in the
>country, and it is very tough to pass even with 3-4 years of law school
>under your belt, or so I've heard.

Woohoo! Good news for this IANAL!

Difficult is not a problem! Even if I fail it a couple of times, I will eventually
succeed. All the better, because if I can't pass the most difficult bar, then
I don't want to call myself an attorney; the reputation of attorneys is plenty
tarnished as it is. I already disparage the name of programming with my
mediocre skills.

I've been looking into online courses (there is at least one online regionally
accredited J.D. available) because I dread the idea of spending four years
in classrooms with a bunch of wannabe lawyers. Of the several I've known,
only two had any virtue worth noting.

I want the study law, not how to drive a Jaguar with style. I particularly
want to study copyright law and give back to the Open Source world that
way, and Eben Moglen (who works for EFF) is my role model at present.

I think he is one of the ten brightest people alive. We're very fortunate to
have him on our side.

-Jared