Linux-friendly dial-up ISPs in Kansas City

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Tue Feb 3 22:30:35 CST 2004

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:28:05 -0600 "Brig C. McCoy" <mccoyb at lindahall.org>
writes:
> Hi...
>
> I've got a friend interested in trying Linux at home...
> he mostly e-mails and web surfs... can anyone
> recommend a linux-friendly dial-up ISP in KC,
> MO?

Oddly enough, we were just discussing this a few messages ago.

http://homebbs.com/

Free dial-up accounts limited to 10 minutes at a time, otherwise
unlimited access.  And if you don't like the time restraints, here's
something a little cryptic:

"To eliminate time restraints and make additional content available you
can get a telnet or web based account for $24 without games, or $50 with
them, per year."

Not quite certain if the $24/$50 account has no 10 minute *dial-up*
limit, but it would be worth E-mailing them about it.

If you're not downloading CDs or music and only surfing and downloading
your E-mails, 10 minutes unlimited works somewhat nicely.  If you can
arrange a dial-up router (such as the floppy-based one put out by
www.freesco.org) and make it Dial-On-Demand, you'll only have a brief
pause whenever you try to load a page and you aren't currently connected,
as the DOD FreeSCO router (unaffiliated with SCO) dials up HomeBBS.