OT: Symbol barcode emits two lasers, not one.

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 2 05:33:50 CST 2004

>From: "Dre G." <enabled at linuxjunkies.com>
>To: Brian Kelsay <BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov>
>CC: kclug at kclug.org
>Subject: Re: OT: Symbol barcode emits two lasers, not one.
>>I used to manage about 500 symbol scanners and a million square feet of
>wireless loving.. Imagine some of the challenges with that :P
>There wasnt just one of me doing it but we had many other tasks as well to
>do.
>My scanner stories could go on for years and years and years but I think I
>am done with the flashback for now
>
>/me twitchs back to his own corner
>

>On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Brian Kelsay wrote:
>
> > >Does anyone know what causes a laser scanner
> > >to emit two laser beams? It's probably been dropped,
> > >but I'm curious to know if there is a way to open
> > >the case and realign something.
> >
> > Ones I used to use in the shipping industry read 2-D barcodes, which
>included package routing info, address, shipper, contents, etc.   I think
>it could store over 256 characters.   Look here:
>http://www.adams1.com/pub/russadam/stack.html  for more info.  I think we
>used the Data Matrix or PDF417, I forget which.
> >
> > If the scanner was dropped, you could have a mirror out of alignment or
>a broken mirror or prism.  The scanner users used to just bang them on the
>side of a package until they started working again.  Oh yeah, that'll fix
>it.   Wires used to break inside the cable casing all the time too.  Lot of
>abuse can occur inside a package hub.  You should have seen the some of the
>damage to handheld scanners the drivers carried.  Same as the FedEx ones,
>in fact my old Co. merged w/ FedEx.  I had the lucky task of reprogramming
>the scanners and sending off the broken ones.
> >
> > Brian Kelsay

Just got to my old service notes . Longshot but if you have a mirror placed
so it's not in " first surface " mode the thickness of the glass between the
coated back side and the reflection from the uncoated side will potentially
become a beamsplitter . the tipoff is the 2 beams being some rleationship to
the glass thickness of a mirror . Old NCR 7824 in counter mount scanner
scale was the only seen by me case  . This is not to be confused with a bad
laser tube emitting  multibeams  . Though unless some human re-installed  a
mirror backwards it's a slim chance the mirror is it .

I would not mind such a job and if it's still open do let me know .

Oren

" Closed Source is akin to epoxy potted electronics modules - totally
unservicable , needing to be replaced for even the most minor faults - and
even then you will often never find the failure mode .