[OT] Mission to the Moon

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 1 09:19:34 CST 2004

>From: "Brian Densmore" <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>
>To: <kclug at kclug.org>
>Subject: RE: [OT] Mission to the Moon
>Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:56:49 -0600

The missing pieces you invoke could be supplied by ham radio ...Google for "
ham radio moonbounce" . That will provide several day's reading and a precis
of things already degubbed to routine usage . I at first failed to take note
of the fact that E-M-E is * NOT * a mere doubling of the path losses for one
way but a much more complex figuring . Also I was misinformed as to the
concept of bandwith being limited by distance . POWER demand , Beam dynamics
and system noise budget as affected by the first 2 factors are the speed
bump . Now if we traded both bandwith and power for complexity and low tech
arguably a large enough lunar helio mirror array could provide optical comms
with telescopes as receptors .

Oren

" I bet that converging Ham Radio , Open Source advocacy  , SciFi Fandom
and some loose cash could stand the established order on it's ear for all
our betterments  "