Mandrake MNF

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Aug 10 19:10:25 CDT 2003

Jeffrey Cady wrote:

> "Mandrake is famous for the hidden (non-standard) config files.  What you
> may want to look into is where webmin or linuxconf store their files.
> Mandrake may have just written a fancy frontend to either of those
> utilities.  Red Hat and Mandrake both have had problems in the past with
> Gui-based tools not actually altering the standard .conf or config file.
>   You would have a choice of editing by hand (as you did) or by Gui, but
> not both.  MNF is based on Mandrake 7.3 if I recall correctly.  I
> checked it out, but I went for IPCop instead."
>

> So how would I go about finding where webmin and linuxconf store their
> files? It seems like if I can find where the GUI is getting its settings I
> can just manually configure them and get the GUI and the text files in sync
> with each other.

I found this info usefull for install of a current version of MNF, since
you didn't say which version you have and I thought they only had the
one: http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~amaury/mnf/9.0.php
At the end there is info on where to get further help, and it informs
the user that they use shorewall for the firewalling
(http://www.shorewall.net/)

 From the Webmin FAQ (http://www.webmin.com/faq.html) I ferreted out
that they are stored in /etc/webmin/*.conf .  If it actually uses Webmin
then I suggest selected readings from the Book of Webmin:
http://www.swelltech.com/support/webminguide-1.0/index.html

After looking at the Shorewall webpage (http://www.shorewall.net/) and
going to "QuickStart Guides" and the specific docs on a "Basic
Two-Interface Firewall" (they put the page in HTML frames so I can't
give the exact link) we find that shorewall puts its config files in
/etc/shorewall/rules, ./policy, ./zones, ./common.  They also mention
something about the Mandrake distro:

"Note however, that the Shorewall configuration produced by Mandrake
Internet Connection Sharing is strange and is apt to confuse you if you
use the rest of this documentation (it has two local zones; "loc" and
"masq" where "loc" is empty; this conflicts with this documentation
which assumes a single local zone "loc"). We therefore recommend that
once you have set up this sharing that you uninstall the Mandrake
Shorewall RPM and install the one from the download page then follow the
instructions in this Guide."

Hey, they said it.  I love Mandrake and what it does for the new user.
I used it, but after a while I got confused w/ the differences between
standard docs and how I had to do stuff on Mandrake.  So  you may have
to get specific help from the mandrake guys on some stuff.  Depends how
deep you want to go.  Now that we know they use Shorewall you could use
it with any base distro, including an up-to-date Mandrake 9.1 or Cooker,
w/ that Mandrake link I put in above, looks like the current one uses
8.2 but I heard you can't download the .iso.

I just thought of something as I ran all this through my CPU (noggin)
again.  Did you restart the firewall after the change in rules.  Issue
"shorewall restart" from the CLI. then refresh the webpage and see if
that fixes it.
Hope some of this helps.  Gives you a start anyway.

I checked one other thing and found exactly what I was talking about.
Read the entire post and see if you catch it (could only get the google
copyto work):
http://216.239.33.104/search?q=cache:eD_ekpNtpRwJ:archives.mandrakelinux.com/firewall/2003-02/msg000
11.php+MNF+config+files&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Again, good luck.
Brian
--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC