gentoo go good

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Wed Apr 30 17:53:02 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 08:51, David Reynolds wrote:
> I've got a friend who was 'given' gentoo by her ex, but either I am not
> as smart as I think I am, or she has been severely crippled.
>
> Her ex did not give her a root password. Hence, she cannot do things like
> change the time, emerge/update programs, or a host of other things I do
> regularly on my system. Now he's shipped out and she has no access to him
> for a month plus. When she types 'groups', she gets only 'users'; my
> account on my computer on the other hand has about a dozen groups I am
> member of. Which is to be expected?

By default a newly added user will only be a member of the users group.  To
be a member of multiple groups, requires the administrator of the box to
add the user to other groups.  To find out how, read the usermod man page.

Your friend can reset the root password by booting off the Gentoo Linux CD,
mounting the root file system, chrooting into the root filesystem, then use
the comand passwd.