gentoo go good

jim jim at weathercom.com
Wed Apr 30 15:14:33 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 09:30 pm, Eric Rossiter wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> When X fires up, it's way huge, but a few ctrl + alt + + or - puts
> things where I want them.  How can I fix that, i.e. set a default
> resolution?  I haven't searched for this one at all, so if you want to
> point to a URL as opposed to spoon'n, I'm all eyes.

I use a command line option to tell X what DPI my monitor uses:
startx -- -dpi 120

> I'm getting swamped with spam.  I don't have my own mail server.  Is
> there anything I can set up here at home to filter mail if I don't have
> a mail server?  (collect from discoverynet.com and send thru
> comcast.net) I was thinking of setting up postfix to grab my mail from
> discoverynet.com and filter it using spamassassin or some such... but
> the more I read about postfix, sendmail, etc... you have to have a
> fully-qualified domain name...

Bogofilter works well for me and there's an ebuild for it.

If you emerge postfix and add it to the default runlevel, you'll be able to
send mail directly from your desktop with little or no configuration.  Beats
using another machine as a SMTP relay.  There's a little configuration to do
to setup postfix as a mail server, but it's not very hard.  I posted a
message to the list that described how to use bogofilter with postfix.
Google for "postfix bogofilter" to find it.

> So far I've emerged KDE and Gnome... I like KDE better... Evolution,
> Mozilla, vtund, lzo, (tunnel go good, over ssh, compressed btw...) gaim
> and probably a few others I've forgotten.  What other wonder apps/tools
> should I grab/does anyone recommend?

OpenSSH is essential, I think.

> Thanks for your time.

Jim