gentoo go good

David Reynolds naeblis at kc.rr.com
Wed Apr 30 12:49:00 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 08:30 pm, Eric Rossiter proclaimed:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Gentoo is slick, man... been slowly getting acclimated and I have a few
> questions, if I may.

I've got a friend who was 'given' gentoo by her ex, but either I am not as
smart as I think I am, or she has been severely crippled.

Her ex did not give her a root password. Hence, she cannot do things like
change the time, emerge/update programs, or a host of other things I do
regularly on my system. Now he's shipped out and she has no access to him for
a month plus. When she types 'groups', she gets only 'users'; my account on
my computer on the other hand has about a dozen groups I am member of. Which
is to be expected?

> As a normal user, I can't start gdm or kdm, tells me only root wants to
> do that.  I tried the fix suggested in the gentoo forums to no avail.
> Any other ideas?

Where are these forums please? And would they be ANY help to a person just
starting off of Windows? I feel bad that I am about to send her back to
Windows, but I did suggest trying something like Mandrake or RedHat.

> Thanks for your time.

Hope I'm not intruding on your thread,
David

--
The three manifestations of the true human are:
 civility;