net etiquette

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Mon Apr 28 02:55:51 CDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Eric Rossiter wrote:

> Anyone know the link to the Net Etiquette page that explains the a
> reference to "nazi's" is an attempt to kill an otherwise now worthless
> thread?

It's "Godwins Law" - but if you read up on it you'll find your intended
usage is incorrect.  To paraphrase it:

Godwins Law states that as a thread grows longer, the probability that a
comparison to Hitler or Nazis occuring approaches one.

In this definition, the comparison to Hitler or Nazis is requried to
occur naturally.  Merely "invoking" Godwins Law on purpose in hopes of
killing off a thread pretty much guarantees the thread won't die, as we
all have to go through the trouble of explaining it [Godwins Law] all over
again.

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker - CNA, MCP          |
| dustin at dustindecker.com       o-------------------------------------o
| Network Engineer              | "Our body has this defect that, the |
| Preferred Physicians Group    |  more it is provided care and       |
o-------------------------------|  comforts, the more needs and       |
                                |  desires it finds."                 |
                                |  -- Teresa of Avila (1515-1582)     |