Appending text in a file

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Apr 27 02:20:25 CDT 2003

Quoting Steven Elling <ellings at kcnet.com>:

> > s/,mail=.*//

> What is your goal here?  Remember, . (dot) refers to any character and with *
> (astriks) following the dot this regex will match 'mail=' followed by zero or
> more characters.  In effect, this substitution will remove everything from
> 'mail=' to the end of the line.  If that is your goal, good.

Yup.  If there's an email address in a record, mozilla/netscape appends it to
the dn: line.  You could just do a search-and-replace on that for this project,
but it leaves the "mail=" string off if the address is blank.

> > /modify/d

> I haven't seen this before.  I take it you want to match lines containing
> 'modify' and then delete the whole line.  Am I right?

Correct - I think it's "modifytimestamp= 0Z", but "modify" was a good enough
mnemonic.