Force exsisting mail

Jeremy Fowler JFowler at westrope.com
Fri Apr 25 14:44:31 CDT 2003

Did you ever get an answer to this? I had the same problem when moving
users to a new server. Many still had mail in their original mailboxes
on the old server. Since the new mailboxes were on a new server, just
using cat to move the boxes would be too time consuming. So I used
formail to spit up the mailbox into separate messages and then passed it
to sendmail with the user's name and new host info for delivery:

for box in /var/spool/mail/*; do
echo "Moving mailbox: $box"
formail -Y -s sendmail -oi $box at other.host.net < $box
done

Just thought this might be helpful to someone.