LDAP Woes

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Apr 25 02:18:07 CDT 2003

I've spent the last couple of days trying to get an LDAP server set up to
eventually act as an address repository that will replace my MS Exchange
server.  Boy, what a headache!  I gather that they've made several significant
upgrades in OpenLDAP, which now ships with both Mandrake and RedHat.  You no
longer have to seperately upgrade DB2 - which I had tried a few months agon
with no success.

However, enough seems to have changed in how things are done that none of the
tutorials on the web will quite work.  I get to the point where I start
building the database and they all fail with some cryptic error when ldapadd
is parsing the example LDIF file.

I've tried rolodap and the HOWTOs at RedHat, but so far nothing has worked.  I
think what I will have to do is get a decent book that explains the logic of
how you build Object Classes and container objects and then add attributes and
memebers to those containers.

Trouble is, if OpenLDAP is changing too quickly for web articles to catch up,
the chances of finding a book that is current and accurate are pretty poor
too.

I saw someone else here plead for a tutorial on LDAP a while ago, but I don't
think I've seen any answers.  If anybody has suggestions, they'd be welcome.

Otherwise, I dunno, I guess I'll have to write it myself.