the kclug mosix cluster (again)

david nicol whatever at davidnicol.com
Wed Apr 23 01:06:28 CDT 2003

Was up late last night waiting for a 166 dragged out of the
trash to compile a 2.4 kernel.  This little box was on roadrunner
thanks to the distribution's DHCP client, and had the LUG mosix cluster
been in effect I could have grabbed a generic mosixy kernel and run
the make with -j6 or so and sent all those little CPU-intensive compiler
processes elsewhere.

Of course, the question remains, do you want to let your computer
be abused by remote fork-bombers?  .... review openmosix and PlumpOS
web pages ... I wonder if the hacks to limit the amount of resources
available to remote systems is in place yet; also if they have
abstracted group membership to the point where you can have "bridging"
between multiple clusters without needing to know numbering details
of the clusters your not in yet (I proposed such a scheme to the
linux-clusters list in fall 2000 and I'm not going to let anyone
forget it)

david nicol

--
David Nicol, independent consultant and contractor
have a nice day, really. http://www.funnytimes.com