vtun over ssh using lzo on Gentoo

Dean Troyer dtroyer at xr7.org
Tue Apr 22 19:38:38 CDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Eric R. wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has successfully implemented the vtund daemon
> over ssh using lzo compression as described in the new Linux Server
> Hacks book?

I haven't seen the implementation in the book, but I did run vtun over ssh
a couple of years ago with reasonable success.  It does suffer from the
problems generally associated with tunneling TCP over TCP: the windowing
tends to compound between the layers and the connection eventually hangs.
In practice, I could sometimes work four a couple of hours and sometimes
only a couple of minutes.  But for a last-resort backup it is certainly
better than nothing.

dt

--
Dean Troyer