Suggestions.

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Tue Apr 22 17:02:02 CDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Chris Wagner wrote:

> I need suggestions on the best distribution to run on older hardware
> (talking P1 or K6-2 at best).
>
> I have a bunch of parts in my garage that I want to use to piece
> together a box to serve at home with, but I need to be able to run a
> fairly new version, if at all possible.

In my highly biased opinion, I'd recommend gentoo.

I only have a 1.2GB drive with 32MB on this 120MHz computer, so I run
gentoo to keep it lean.  It makes a nifty X server and also does my email,
web, and file serving.  Updating is a snap with the "emerge sync;  emerge
-u world" command.

Yes, compiling things would be slow.  That's why I mount its filesystem
from my fast gigahertz laptop via NFS and distribute the CPU load from a
chroot shell.  Setting a few preferences by checking off the USE flags
gives me a lean system built exactly the way I like it.

--
Programming C shells by the sea shore since 1994.
http://dattaway.org